In addition, through August 30, 2013, Quark is continuing to offer users of QuarkXPress 3-8 the opportunity to upgrade to version 9 to receive version 10 for free. For more information visit www.quark.com/Buy9Get10.
We saw their demo and were very impressed. Here are some of the dramatic improvements you can expect in QuarkXPress 10:
- An entirely new “Xenon” graphics engine, which provides crystal-clear, pixel-accurate previews of all page items, including imported graphics such as PDF, EPS, PSD, AI, TIFF, JPG, PNG, and more.
- Full PDF transparency (“pass through”) support.
- Support for HiDPI displays, such as Apple’s Retina display.
- Rewritten for Mac OS X as a native Cocoa app, with dramatic speed improvements and access to special OS X features such as Recent Items, Dictation, File List in Dock, etc.
- Palettes that automatically dock to the edges of the display, and automatically show/hide.
- Full-screen display of your document.
- Giant page previews for page navigation.
- An improved Measurements palette that completely replaces the old Modify dialog.
- A Quick Response Code (QR Code) generator.
- East Asian typography in all editions of QuarkXPress 10.
- Import pictures and hyperlinks from Microsoft Word documents.
- Master pages can now have Layers!
- Copy and paste items while retaining Layer information.
- A new Print Preview with thumbnail page previews.
- Select a Key item for Space/Align to align to.
- Highlight missing fonts.
- Easily join, extend and close paths created with the Pen tool.
- A giant color swatch picker.
- Apply a style sheet to the current paragraph as you create the style.
- Flip shapes horizontally or vertically.
- OS X file extensions now added to QuarkXPress files. (QXP)
- Set default tool preferences from existing objects.
- Set separate trim view pasteboard color when creating Apps in App Studio.
- Improved IME support for Japanese, Chinese and Korean languages.
- More than 50 productivity enhancements.
To demonstrate their improved image preview, here’s an example of a photo in the standard display quality in QuarkXPress 9 vs QuarkXPress 10 (click to enlarge):
Because of its new Xenon graphics engine, QuarkXPress 10 can also manipulate TIFF color channels and clipping paths directly!
In addition to imported graphics, other page items such as gradients, blends and patterns also now look pixel-perfect.
When you need to precisely position elements on the page in relation to a graphic, you’ll appreciate the vastly improved imported PDF display. Also, because QuarkXPress 10 now understands PDF at a deep level, QuarkXPress objects can now interact with transparent objects in imported PDFs.
Here’s an imported PDF file as seen at the standard display quality in QuarkXPress 9 vs QuarkXPress 10 (click to enlarge):
This dramatic improvement was made possible by Quark’s new Xenon graphics engine. For the technically minded, here’s a chart of the QuarkXPress 9 architecture, followed by the QuarkXPress 10 architecture (click to enlarge):
The Measurements palette received an overhaul (click to enlarge):
Wanna pick a color? How about a GIANT color swatch picker? (click to enlarge)
The Print Preview dialog not only shows actual thumbnails of your pages, it shows how it will fit (or not!) onto your current paper choice (click to enlarge):
And QuarkXPress 10’s interactivity features are all about HTML 5:
App Studio users will be thrilled with several new features, such as “Page Flip”:
What got left behind:
With this rewrite of the code base, QuarkXPress 10 will only open QuarkXPress files back to version 7. They’ve also dropped support for Flash (surprise!), Blio and HTML 4 (HTML 5 is SO much more capable!).
Operating system requirements for QuarkXPress 10 are:
- Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and later (including 10.9 Mavericks)
- Windows 7 and 8
Below is Quark’s press release:
Quark Announces QuarkXPress 10. Details Matter.
New State-of-the-Art Graphics Engine, Retina Display Support, and more than Fifty Feature Enhancements Mark Significant Modernization of QuarkXPress
DENVER, CO – July 24, 2013 – Quark announced today QuarkXPress® 10 (www.quark.com/10), the new version of the graphic design and page layout software for designers who love print and live digital. New inside and out, QuarkXPress 10 includes Quark’s new Xenon Graphics Engine, Retina® display support, a modern architecture, and over fifty feature enhancements that streamline the design process and improve the design experience. It also continues support for ePub and out-of-the-box HTML5 authoring tools for App StudioTM, the leading cloud-based HTML5 solution for creating award-winning tablet and smartphone experiences.
“This has been a monumental undertaking by the development team to thoroughly modernize QuarkXPress in terms of the application environment, architecture, user interface, and graphics engine,” said Dave White, Chief Technology Officer for Quark. “We’re excited not only for this release, but also the foundation that has been put in place for future QuarkXPress features.”
New Cocoa Environment
QuarkXPress 10 is the first version of QuarkXPress to run as a native Cocoa app. Cocoa is the current and preeminent application environment for Mac OS X. Being a Cocoa app brings a number of benefits to QuarkXPress 10, including the ability to leverage the latest OS X features, maximize performance, and rapidly support new OS X releases. In migrating QuarkXPress to Cocoa, the development team:
- Updated half a million lines of code
- Added 350,000 new lines of code
- Created more than 500 dialogues and palettes in multiple languages
- Incorporated 1,300 icons to enable Retina display resolutions
Xenon Graphics Engine
Quark has engineered a new, state-of-the-art graphics engine from the ground up that will be leveraged across a range of its products, starting with QuarkXPress 10. The new Xenon Graphics Engine renders rich PDFs, Photoshop and TIFF images, and uses its Adaptive Resolution feature to deliver designers the most appropriate onscreen resolution with maximum performance. The difference between viewing pixel and vector files in QuarkXPress 10 versus QuarkXPress 9 is stunning. The Xenon Graphics Engine enables:
- Native and deep understanding of image and vector files: PDF, AI, TIFF, JPG, PNG, PSD, and more
- Adaptive Resolution: Always delivers the best resolution on screen without compromising performance – in real time and irrespective of zoom, crop, and even while positioning graphics
- Rich understanding of PDFs: PDFs are dynamically rendered using rich knowledge of fonts, vectors, colors, gradients, and transparency within a PDF for better onscreen rendering and faster output
- Takes full advantage of the latest processor technology: Utilizes the dedicated vector processors within core hardware and supports multi-core, multi-processor, multi-threading, SSE3, and Advanced Vector Extensions (AVX)
Modern and Optimized User Interface
In order to further optimize the design environment, QuarkXPress has been overhauled on the outside too with a modern new look – but that’s just the start.
- Next Generation Palettes: Dock palettes to screen edges, turn on hiding, drag and drop palettes, snap to windows, and more. New shortcut keys enable even faster access and the enhanced Palette Sets feature makes remembering favorite configurations a breeze.
- Full Screen Experience: Expand the design environment to fill the entire screen with one click.
- When working across more than one screen, palettes can use one screen and the layout another. Set docked palette groups and auto hide for maximum real estate.
- Page Navigator: Easily scan through the page thumbnails and go directly to a chosen page faster with new navigation elements and command keys.
- Measurements Palette: The measurements palette is now the single most important destination in QuarkXPress. It now completely replaces the functionality of the Modify Dialog including the previous shortcut keys, enabling continued access to a layout with the option to modify more than 100 layout settings while still interacting with the page.
HiDPI and Retina Display Support
Every element of QuarkXPress 10 has been optimized to take full advantage of high-resolution Retina displays found on the new Mac Book Pro.
QR Code Creator
Generate, style, and color vector Quick Response (QR) codes directly within QuarkXPress with support for text QR codes such as URLs and SMS as well as vCards.
East Asian Typography
Now every edition of QuarkXPress 10 supports East Asian typography, not just editions sold in East Asia. This includes features such as vertical story text, phonetic text reading (rubi) font sets, character grids, and more.
Work Faster and Smarter in QuarkXPress 10
- Import Pictures and Hyperlinks from Microsoft Word
- PDF Pass-Through Transparency
- Layers Enhancements
- Print Preview
- Key Item Space/Align
- Highlight Missing Fonts
- Improved IME support
- Bezier Tool Enhancement
- Layout Tab Reordering
Jay Nelson is the editorial director of PlanetQuark.com, and the editor and publisher of Design Tools Monthly. He’s also the author of the QuarkXPress 8 and QuarkXPress 7 training titles at Lynda.com, as well as the training videos Quark includes in the box with QuarkXPress 7 . In addition, Jay writes regularly for Macworld and Photoshop User magazines and speaks at industry events.