The update increases QuarkXPress’s performance and stability when:
- Working with text-heavy and long documents
- Saving documents locally and on network drives
- Outputting documents that contain drop shadows
- Outputting multiple copies or specific ranges of pages
- Checking spelling
Version 7.3 also fixes a problem that caused text to reflow when opening documents created in previous versions.
Version 7.3 installs the following new PDF Output Styles, available whenever exporting a Layout to PDF. (In these Style names, “Quality/Resolution” refers to the images saved within the PDF: “Quality” = on-screen Preview Quality; “Resolution = Output Resolution):
- Press – High Quality/High Resolution
- Print – Medium Quality/Medium Resolution
- Screen – Medium Quality/Low Resolution
- Screen – Low Quality/Low Resolution
The Passport version of QuarkXPress 7.3 gains localized user interfaces for European Portuguese, Russian, Finnish, Croatian, and Hungarian. Also, hyphenation and spelling support has been added for Ukrainian, Romanian, Bulgarian, Lithuanian, Slovenian, Latvian, Estonian, Icelandic, and Slovak.
The update is available as a 325MB download (requires registration).
Jay Nelson is the editorial director of PlanetQuark.com, and the editor and publisher of Design Tools Monthly. He’s also the author of the QuarkXPress 8 and QuarkXPress 7 training titles at Lynda.com, as well as the training videos Quark includes in the box with QuarkXPress 7 . In addition, Jay writes regularly for Macworld and Photoshop User magazines and speaks at industry events.