Which digital magazines are the best right now? Have a look at the press release below for this year’s award winners — and be sure to click through to the website for links to all the winning magazines!
Digital Magazine Awards Winners Announced
LONDON – December 12, 2013 – The international Digital Magazine Awards, in association with App StudioTMand the Dwell Agency, announced the winners of the 2013 competition at a showcase event held at the Proud Gallery in London.
From a field of entries spanning 41 countries and hundreds of nominations, the 2013 winners are:
- Digital Magazine of the Year: Katachi
- Magazine Cover of the Year, as voted for by the public through Guardian Masterclasses: Teradata
- Magazine Launch of the Year (New Format): Jamie Magazine
- Magazine Launch of the Year (New Title): BOYD and Bande à part Magazine de cinéma
- Children’s Magazine of the Year: Cbeebies and Timbuktu
- Customer Magazine of the Year: Morrisons
- Film, TV & Entertainment Magazine of the Year: Empire
- Fashion Magazine of the Year: Katachi
- Food & Drink Magazine of the Year: BBC Good Food
- Men’s Lifestyle Magazine of the Year: British GQ
- Women’s Lifestyle Magazine of the Year: Katachi
- Magazine Advertisement of the Year: Crash Test, Peugeot (the goodfellas)
- Magazine Website of the Year: Esquire.co.uk
- Motoring Magazine of the Year: BBC Top Gear
- Music Magazine of the Year: Clash Music
- News & Business Magazine of the Year: TLQ
- Science & Nature Magazine of the Year: Australian Geographic
- Specialist Magazine of the Year: Edge
- Sports, Health & Fitness Magazine of the Year: Men’s Health (US)
- Technology & Gadget Magazine of the Year: Swipe
- Travel Magazine of the Year: Travel + Escape
- Visual Arts Magazine of the Year: Computer Arts
- Editor of the Year: Gillian Carter – BBC Good Food
- Designer of the Year: Phil Haycraft – Edge
- Publisher/Manager of the Year: Simon Carrington – BBC Top Gear
For a full list of winners and judges’ quotes visit: http://digitalmagazineawards.com/
Bruce Hudson, Digital Magazine Awards’ Chairman, said, “Congratulations to the 2013 Digital Magazine Awards winners. We have experienced record entry levels as well as record attendance and interest in this year’s awards. The digital magazine industry has seen tangible signs of market growth, profitability and creative ingenuity setting it in fantastic stead for the future. I’m already looking forward in anticipation to next year’s awards to see how this burgeoning sector has progressed!”
Shaun Barriball, Vice President of Mobile Products for App Studio, said, “The caliber of entries winning Digital Magazine Awards this year is spectacular. It’s proof that consumers are demanding interactive digital experiences and brands are responding. While publishers of business-to-consumer content have found demand for iPad-optimized editions, so too now are business-to-business publishers. The bar for compelling digital editions is being raised all the time as devices get better and better.”
About App Studio
App Studio (www.appstudio.net) is the next generation digital publishing solution that uses HTML5 to push the bounds of user experience without the high cost and effort associated with custom app development. App Studio is the only digital publishing solution that allows users to create branded content apps using QuarkXPress, InDesign, HTML5 and XML. Through a managed cloud environment, designers, authors and extended teams are able to collaborate to create rich, interactive content that can be delivered across multiple platforms and devices.
About Dwell Agency
Dwell Agency (www.dwellagency.co.uk) engages the advertising industry on the interactive potential of digital magazines by creating next generation adverts which connect a brand with its target audience through impressive on-page dwell times. Dwell combines over 20 years publishing experience and in-depth knowledge of the world’s best digital magazines with the cream of the UK’s interactive coding designers. Digital Magazine Awards’ founder Bruce Hudson launched Dwell to work with publishers, advertisers, media planners and brands to optimize print ad creative into brand-led interactive ads.
Jay Nelson is the editorial director of PlanetQuark.com, and the editor and publisher of Design Tools Monthly. He’s also the author of the QuarkXPress 8 and QuarkXPress 7 training titles at Lynda.com, as well as the training videos Quark includes in the box with QuarkXPress 7 . In addition, Jay writes regularly for Macworld and Photoshop User magazines and speaks at industry events.