July 4th is Independence Day in the United States of America, so I thought I’d show off an impressive effect you can create in QuarkXPress with just three clicks:
All I did was type “1776”, convert it to outlines, import a picture, and apply the default drop shadow.
- To convert to outlines, choose Item> Convert Text to Boxes.
- To import a picture, choose File> Import
- To apply the drop shadow, click the Drop Shadow tab in the Measurements palette and check the “Apply Drop Shadow” checkbox
- Marvel at your cleverness
- The process actually takes more than three clicks, but conceptually it’s just three clicks. :-)
- The flag image came from iStockphoto.com.
Jay Nelson is the editorial director of PlanetQuark.com, and the editor and publisher of Design Tools Monthly. He’s also the author of the QuarkXPress 8 and QuarkXPress 7 training titles at Lynda.com, as well as the training videos Quark includes in the box with QuarkXPress 7 . In addition, Jay writes regularly for Macworld and Photoshop User magazines and speaks at industry events.