Responding to requests from users, Quark has added powerful new features to their free DesignPad App for iPad. In addition, a new “Pro” version adds direct PDF output, wireless printing, and Dropbox integration. These new features are in addition to all the previous improvements to the original release.
See their announcement below for details:
Quark’s DesignPad iPad App Now Offers Even More Design Functionality Plus Direct PDF Output, AirPrint and Dropbox Integration
Users Can Download Version 1.5 for Free and Opt to Unlock the Pro Feature Pack for only $9.99
DENVER, CO – April 4, 2013 – Quark announced today a new update to DesignPadTM, the app developed to help creative people explore design while giving professional designers a way to concept and start projects from an iPad. The updated version offers all DesignPad users even more of the design and production functionality found in professional layout tools.
With the free update, all users will have access to more design flexibility, more preference options, and more ways to bring their creativity to life. The update includes:
- Box Adjustments: Move, resize, delete and change the order of boxes with new controls
- Shadow Color: Use the color picker to change shadow color from default black
- Text Outlines: Add outlines to text and set color and thickness preferences to outlines
- Blank Document: Opt to remove all boxes in the starting layout with the tap of one button
- Improved Performance and Responsiveness: Control value settings precisely with Smart Sliders and faster layout updates
- Undo/Redo: Revert to the last captured state and redo if desired
- Switch Box Types: Change any box from text to picture or vice-versa
- Precision Image Placement: Nudge and zoom images with touch gestures or using the new Image Placement controls
The free version of DesignPad outputs PNG files and allows users to create QuarkXPress® layouts. However, for $9.99 users can now unlock the Pro Feature Pack, a set of advanced features that provide the type of design, output, and saving functionality that make it possible to start and share professional design projects with colleagues and collaborators. The advanced functionality includes:
- PDF Output: Save and share print-quality PDFs
- Print: Use AirPrint to print layouts using a postscript or inkjet printer
- Dropbox: Save PNG and PDF versions of designs to Dropbox for immediate access anywhere
- Wave Shapes: Automatically create unique wave shapes based on the ShapeMaker functionality in professional layout software QuarkXPress
- No Product Marks: “Made with Quark DesignPad” text at the bottom of saved and shared images will be removed
- Dynamic Grids: Dynamically adjust boxes and columns within layouts, including header size, caption size, margins and gutters
Download the updated version of DesignPad to explore these updates and to opt into the advanced version: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/quark-designpad/id551786067?ls=1&mt=8.
Quark’s software enables organizations of all sizes to meet customer demand for engaging, relevant communications when, where, and how they want them. Our solutions combine the power of XML with flexible layout and design to automate the delivery of customer communications to print, Web, and interactive experiences on the latest digital devices. Financial services firms, manufacturers, and governments around the world rely on Quark solutions to elevate customer communications to new levels, reduce time to market, and lower costs.
Jay Nelson is the editorial director of PlanetQuark.com, and the editor and publisher of Design Tools Monthly. He’s also the author of the QuarkXPress 8 and QuarkXPress 7 training titles at Lynda.com, as well as the training videos Quark includes in the box with QuarkXPress 7 . In addition, Jay writes regularly for Macworld and Photoshop User magazines and speaks at industry events.