I love Quark. Every so often they come out with an announcement that is a crystal-clear statement of their ongoing philosophy of holding their customers’ long-term interest at the forefront of their efforts.
Today’s announcement is a perfect example. Their “Quark Publishing Platform” addresses the needs of every modern publisher, maximizing their existing tools and helping them move into the future. Let me explain…
- In most workflows, writers use Microsoft Word. So, Quark made it easy for Word users to not only write and edit stories in the structured, output-agnostic XML format, they also made it easy for authors to preview how their work will look on different devices and media (such as HTML5, iPad apps, iPhones, and websites).
- Authors and editors on-the-go need access to these same tools through a Web browser. Quark’s Web client is robust: it tracks changes and can show them through redlining, and provides styling palettes for style sheets.
- Publishers (both commercial and in-house) have existing infrastructures that must be supported. Quark Publishing Platform is totally modular, and currently supports all the most commonly used Web services and servers. It can connect into content management systems of any kind, and can output to any rendering engine, including QuarkXPress or InDesign.
- Publishers must keep track of where and when stories are used and changed. Quark Publishing Platform keeps track of every chunk of XML, tracking where it’s been published and where it next needs to go.
- Publishers don’t want to work with more solution providers than necessary. Quark offers a one-source solution, unlike any other company.
- Time is of the essence in today’s publishing world, so Quark Publishing Platform can automatically deliver content to mobile devices, websites, workgroups, and so forth, based on the end user’s interests and role in the process.
- Publishers WANT to automate — studies have shown that they can save 50% by automating, and another 15% by converting “linear” activities into “concurrent” activities.
Quark’s chart below best illustrates the vast array of inputs, processes and outputs supported by Quark Publishing Platform (click to enlarge):
For the truly geeky, here’s Quark’s chart of the architecture of the Quark Publishing System (click to enlarge):
So who’s it for? Quark Publishing System is already being used in traditional publishing houses, as well as in the Financial, Government, and Manufacturing sectors. The chart below illustrates its capabilities (click to enlarge):
For more information, check out Quark’s press release below.
Quark Unveils Publishing Platform for Customer Communications
Quark Publishing Platform Automates the Creation of Rich Content for Delivery across Print and Digital Channels
DENVER, CO – September 27, 2012– Quark announced today its new enterprise publishing platform for customer communications. Quark Publishing PlatformTM is the only integrated solution that automates the creation and delivery of rich, interactive content across print, Web, and digital formats. As an open solution, Quark Publishing Platform is architected to work with existing enterprise infrastructures and business systems to optimize the publishing process.
Smart Customer Communication
Creating compelling communications that reach consumers quickly and in their preferred medium is a challenge faced by financial services organizations, manufacturers, governmental organizations, traditional media, and marketers. Quark Publishing Platform enables organizations to create smart content – structured and self-describing – that can be maintained and assembled as needed based on audience or output type. With this approach, enterprises can create and deliver communications that are:
- Engaging: Richly-designed, interactive, and device-appropriate
- Immediate: Relevant, timely, and up-to-date
- Relevant: Personalized and available across print, Web, and digital channels
Ray Schiavone, President and CEO of Quark, said, “It’s well known that today’s consumers expect rich, personalized, and timely information to reach them on the devices they prefer. What’s less well known is that very few organizations have the systems in place to meet this demand efficiently. Quark Publishing Platform is the first complete solution with the potential to transform the customer communication process.”
With Quark Publishing Platform enterprise content creators, IT departments, and business managers can build systems to produce, manage, and deliver content related to:
- Research reporting for capital markets
- Regulatory compliance
- Technical product marketing
- Case management
- Other content-centric business solutions
Quark Publishing Platform Highlights
Quark Publishing Platform is a broad-reaching customer communication solution that streamlines and automates the publishing process. The modules of the platform work together to enable the creation and automatic assembly of content for different audiences, publications, and media types. Whether implemented as an end-to-end publishing workflow or integrated independently with existing infrastructure, the modules of Quark Publishing Platform allow users to:
- Automatically assemble and deliver content to print, PDF, HTML5, Web, XML, tablet and mobile apps, and other digital formats
- Reduce cycle-time by previewing content and interactive media in real-time while authoring in Microsoft Word
- Design for automation using familiar layout and authoring tools
- Easily integrate with syndication services and content management systems such as IBM FileNet Content Manager, Microsoft SharePoint, EMC Documentum, and others
- Reuse and repurpose XML and structured content from third party systems
The Modules of Quark Publishing Platform
Depending on existing infrastructure and the nature of the content being created, enterprises are able to customize the publishing workflow most appropriate for their business. Quark Publishing Platform modules include:
- Quark Publishing Platform Server: A platform-independent, enterprise-class Java server application that manages manual and automated publishing processes and components including projects, versions, styles, privileges, routing, and multimedia assets such as audio and video, as well as advanced XML content components.
- Quark Publishing Platform Renderer: A high-performance publishing server, Quark Publishing Platform Renderer offers the cost-reduction benefits of automation combined with the marketing benefits of professional design. The platform publishing service can also connect to additional rendering solutions such as Open Toolkit and Antenna House.
- Quark XML AuthorTM: An add-in to Microsoft Word, Quark XML Author allows writers to develop structured XML in the familiar Word environment without requiring knowledge of XML. It supports native XML metadata, including standard and industry-specific tagging options that users are able to apply directly while authoring within Word.
- Quark Publishing Platform Web Client: Features an intuitive interface that supports tracking changes, adding notes, receiving assignments, and searching for content from any Web browser. Without installing additional software, external knowledge workers can create documents from templates while they contribute and collaborate on projects.
- Quark Publishing Platform Client: A desktop client that enables collaboration, version control, and access to metadata by extending Quark Publishing Platform to every user regardless of their location, operating system, or application preferences.
- QuarkXPress® Enterprise Edition: Design software that facilitates the creation and publishing of richly designed materials for print, Web, eBooks, smartphones, and tablets such as the iPad and the Kindle. This easy-to-use tool works with Quark Publishing Platform so users can search, assign, and track page elements, projects, and publications while streamlining the publishing workflow.
For more information about Quark Enterprise Solutions and Quark Publishing Platform, please visit: www.quark.com/enterprise.
Quark’s software enables organizations of all sizes to meet customer demand for engaging, relevant communications when, where, and how they want them. Our solutions combine the power of XML with flexible layout and design to automate the delivery of customer communications to print, Web, and interactive experiences on the latest digital devices. Financial services firms, manufacturers, and governments around the world rely on Quark solutions to elevate customer communications to new levels, reduce time to market, and lower costs.
Jay Nelson is the editorial director of PlanetQuark.com, and the editor and publisher of Design Tools Monthly. He’s also the author of the QuarkXPress 8 and QuarkXPress 7 training titles at Lynda.com, as well as the training videos Quark includes in the box with QuarkXPress 7 . In addition, Jay writes regularly for Macworld and Photoshop User magazines and speaks at industry events.