It looks like Quark is listening to their users — today’s release of version 9.2 of QuarkXPress adds exactly the features that I’ve been hearing people asking for.
First, you can create an ePUB file from scratch, rather than having to start with a print-based file:
Second, the new ePUB 3.0 format is supported, allowing you to add audio, video, and hyperlinks to your ePUB e-book:
QuarkXPress 9.2 also has a smoother ePUB workflow, especially for Reflow tagging, tables of content, picture resolution, and more (see Quark’s press release below).
The tools for creating iPad apps have also been improved:
- Templates support iOS 5 Newsstand and iCloud storage.
- Smarter controls for sound and video — including looping!
- A variety of pop-up styles for viewing embedded PDFs, Microsoft Office and iWork files, and RTF files.
- Reduced file sizes for AVE-MAG format issue files.
See Quark’s press release below for further information on this free update to QuarkXPress 9.
QuarkXPress 9.2 Enhances ePUB and iPad Publishing
New Update Includes ePUB 3 Audio and Video Support and More Options for App Studio
DENVER, CO – January 5, 2012 – Quark announced today the availability of QuarkXPress® 9.2, the new update to QuarkXPress 9 that is free to all QuarkXPress 9 customers. QuarkXPress 9 is award-winning design software that enables millions of creative professionals to publish across digital devices as well as to print and the Web. Version 9.2 adds new ePUB features, ePUB 3 audio and video support, and more options for App StudioTM.
QuarkXPress 9.2 and ePUB
QuarkXPress 9 introduced the ability for designers to easily export print layouts to ePUB to create traditional e-books. With QuarkXPress 9.2 designers can now, in addition to converting a print layout to ePUB, create a new project specifically for ePUB export. With the new update, it’s now also possible to:
- Add audio, videos, and hyperlinks to an ePUB e-book
- Create new articles, visually crop pictures, and split text components in a reflow article
- Re-order components by dragging-and-dropping within the Reflow Tagging Palette
- Create hierarchical tables of content
- Control the format and resolution of pictures on a global or picture-by-picture basis
- Specify the default story direction for East Asian ePUB e-books
Along with the new ePUB functionality, QuarkXPress 9.2 also supports audio and video for ePUB 3, the new version of the standard that supports rich media. For a full list of new ePUB enhancements, please visit: http://www.quark.com/Products/QuarkXPress/.
QuarkXPress 9.2 and iPad Publishing
A key component of QuarkXPress 9 is App Studio, which offers designers a cost-effective way to create and publish enriched, interactive content to digital devices, such as the iPad. With QuarkXPress 9.2, App Studio templates support iOS 5 Newsstand and meet new Apple guidelines for iCloud storage. In addition to the many enrichment options already available with QuarkXPress 9, QuarkXPress 9.2 and App Studio now includes:
- New Play/Pause/Stop/Toggle Play Actions that allow designers to build buttons that control other media elements such as sound and video
- A Hide Controls option for sound and video that allows designers to make the control bar for a media player invisible
- A Loop option that designers can use to specify that a sound or video element should loop its playback
- Three different pop-up styles: classic, centered, and full-screen that allow users to select full-screen, scrollable, and zoom-able embedded PDF views. This feature also supports other content types available by WebKit on iOS, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), iWork (Pages, Numbers, and Keynote), and RTF documents
- Reduced file sizes for AVE-MAG format issue files exported from QuarkXPress
For more information, please visit: http://www.quark.com/appstudio.
Special Upgrade Options
Quark is currently offering a special upgrade option that allows all QuarkXPress customers to upgrade to QuarkXPress 9 from any previous version for $299. The upgrade price of $299 is typically only applied to upgrades from version 8. To take advantage of the special offer, users must have a valid, registered, and activated serial number for any version of QuarkXPress. Visit http://www.quark.com/promotion to upgrade and for further information.
QuarkXPress 9 Awards
Since its launch QuarkXPress 9 has generated high recognition from industry influencers, including the following awards:
- Macworld UK Best Creative Design Software of the Year
- Macworld UK Grand Prix
- MacUser Publishing Product of the Year
- MacDirectory iWard for Best New Products
Founded in Denver in 1981, Quark’s vision was to create software that would lay the foundation for modern publishing. For 30 years, Quark has delivered on that promise. Quark’s dynamic publishing solutions are setting new standards in automated cross-media publishing by combining the power of XML with flexible layout and design to automate the delivery of customized, intelligent communications across print, the Web, and digital media.
Jay Nelson is the editorial director of PlanetQuark.com, and the editor and publisher of Design Tools Monthly. He’s also the author of the QuarkXPress 8 and QuarkXPress 7 training titles at Lynda.com, as well as the training videos Quark includes in the box with QuarkXPress 7 . In addition, Jay writes regularly for Macworld and Photoshop User magazines and speaks at industry events.