Today, Quark celebrates its 30 year anniversary as a company. We at PlanetQuark.com wish all of Quark’s current and past contributors a very Happy Birthday!
To celebrate, Quark is giving everyone a free copy of the iDropper XTension for QuarkXPress 7, 8 or 9! This XTension lets you pick up colors from anywhere in your layout (including imported graphics) and use them on text or other page items. It can even add a set of tints, complementary colors, or harmonious colors to your Colors palette!
In addition to being able to copy colors from one place to another, iDropper can copy and paste box attributes such as frame or background colors, angle, runaround, dimensions, text inset, vertical alignment, and even sequences of style sheets!
Quark is also offering a 30% discount on the ProPack set of XTensions that we’ve raved about many times. (Here, for example.)
See Quark’s press release below for details.
Quark Celebrates 30 Years of Publishing Innovation
Quark Thanks the Design Community for Thirty Years of Success by Offering a Copy of GLUON iDropper Software to All QuarkXPress Customers
DENVER, CO – November 8, 2011 – Thirty years ago, Quark was founded in Denver, CO and, with QuarkXPress®, revolutionized graphic design and page-layout forever. Since then Quark has helped designers, media companies, and enterprise organizations successfully navigate the transitions from print to Web publishing and from Web to digital publishing. Today, Quark celebrates the past thirty years, the evolution of publishing, and its millions of customers around the globe.
Over the years Quark has advanced publishing by introducing innovative features and functionality that have continually set the stage for the next era of publishing. Here are just a few examples:
- Quark was first to incorporate WYSIWYG postscript into desktop publishing software which replaced manual layout processes and served as the catalyst for a revolution in publishing.
- Quark was first to bring to market color separations and trapping which streamlined the process of preparing layouts for press and created an immediate return on investment.
- Quark was first to offer very granular and precise control over typography, first to introduce the accurate placement of geometries – down to a hundredth of a millimeter, and first to offer multi-ink – the ability to specify a color based on a combination of ink and apply it as a single color.
- Quark was first to integrate vector illustration tools into page layout software, allowing designers to create shaped boxes.
- Quark was the first desktop publishing software vendor to allow for third-party extensibility, allowing software developers to create XTensions for QuarkXPress based on specific use cases and sell that software independently.
- Quark was first to allow designers to create content for print, Web, interactive, and digital media from one application and with the advanced functionality of layout spaces, synchronized text, Job Jackets, and composition zones.
- Quark XML AuthorTM was the first off-the-shelf solution to let Microsoft Word users create instantly valid XML while preserving the Word user experience.
- Quark was first, with Quark Publishing System®, to define the modern editorial workflow by integrating desktop publishing with a graphical user interface that encouraged collaboration and laid the groundwork for enterprise dynamic publishing.
- Quark was first, with QuarkXPress® Server, to combine the server scalability and availability required by the enterprise with desktop publishing design capabilities. QuarkXPress Server was also the first underlying technology for the Web-to-print application market.
- Quark was the first publishing software provider to define and enable dynamic publishing as the process of automating the creation and delivery of content from a single source to multiple channels, including print, the Web, mobile, and digital devices.
“For 30 years Quark has been dedicated to driving innovation in publishing. Our team is proud today to continue our work to improve the entire publishing process – from content creation to delivery across any channel,” said Ray Schiavone, Quark CEO. “We are happy to thank the Quark community of designers, enterprise organizations, education establishments, government agencies, and many others who have been an integral part of our longevity.”
As thanks for choosing Quark technology, Quark is offering our QuarkXPress users a complimentary copy of iDropperTM, a QuarkXPress XTension, and 30 percent off the ProPack of XTensions.
iDropper allows designers to add colors from any graphic appearing on their screen or choose from one of 9500 colors offered by Quark to the color list in QuarkXPress. iDropper can also copy box attributes from one box to another or to several boxes. An $89 value, current users can redeem their complimentary copy of iDropper here:
- Windows: http://www.quark.com/Support/Downloads/Details.aspx?fid=213
- Mac: http://www.quark.com/Support/Downloads/Details.aspx?fid=214
30 Percent off XTensions ProPack
QuarkXPress users can also celebrate Quark’s 30 years by taking advantage of 30 percent off ProPack 9, a bundle that contains 14 professional grade XTensions, from ProScale, Texterous and Spotcheck, to ProGrids & Guides, Greeker, and more. Just visit the Quark Store to redeem the discounted offer.
Founded in Denver in 1981, Quark’s vision was to create software that would lay the foundation for modern publishing. For 30 years, Quark has delivered on that promise. Quark’s dynamic publishing solutions are setting new standards in automated cross-media publishing by combining the power of XML with flexible layout and design to automate the delivery of customized, intelligent communications across print, the Web, and digital media.
Jay Nelson is the editorial director of PlanetQuark.com, and the editor and publisher of Design Tools Monthly. He’s also the author of the QuarkXPress 8 and QuarkXPress 7 training titles at Lynda.com, as well as the training videos Quark includes in the box with QuarkXPress 7 . In addition, Jay writes regularly for Macworld and Photoshop User magazines and speaks at industry events.