Unless you’ve been under a rock somewhere (that’s snide talk for getting your work done), you know that QuarkXPress 8 lets you create Flash content using the assets, layouts, and tools you’re already familiar with in QuarkXPress. If you’re still using QuarkXPress 7, you can also create Flash with the addition of the Quark Interactive Designer XTension.
Now, to recognize the best Flash designs and to encourage other QuarkXPress users to explore its Flash capabilities, Quark has begun a design competition with valuable prizes. Their press release below spells out the details. Be sure to act quickly, as submissions begin now and voting begins June 6th!
Quark Launches Flash Design Competition; Voting Starts at HOW 2010 in Denver
QuarkXPress 8 Flash Competition Winner will Appear in HOW Magazine’s Blog, Win Membership to HOW’s Design Insider Program, and Take Home an Exclusive Pack of Designer’s Tools, including the new PANTONE PLUS SERIES Guides, a Pantone ColorMunki, and a VisTablet
Denver – May 26, 2010 – Today Quark, Inc. launched a new Flash design competition that is open to designers who are creating Flash® projects, such as Websites, banner ads, and online design portfolios, with QuarkXPress® 8. The competition kicks off today and voting will begin at the HOW Conference 2010 being held in Denver June 6 – 9, 2010. Submissions will be accepted at www.ilovedesign.com/gallery/competitions/how2010 from May 26 – June 30, 2010 and voting will be open Sunday, June 6 – June 30. The designer who submits the best Flash project as determined by voters will appear in HOW Magazine’s blog, win membership to HOW’s Design Insider Program, and take home an amazing pack of designer’s tools, including the new PANTONE PLUS SERIES Guides, a Pantone ColorMunkiTM, and a VisTablet from VisTablet Systems Inc .
Enter Quark’s Flash Competition
To enter the competition, designers must submit SWF files created with QuarkXPress 8 to www.ilovedesign.com/gallery/competitions/how2010 by 12:00 p.m. Mountain Time on June 30, 2010. For projects that are online as complete Web sites and not available as separate SWF files, entrants are also permitted to upload images of their work and provide a link to the work online. Designers do not need to attend the HOW conference to enter the competition or to win, and can submit their Flash projects right up to June 30th deadline. However, because submissions can be rated online at any time during the competition, the longer a submission is showcased in the competition the better chance it will have of attracting the popular vote. The winner will be announced during a Webcast being hosted by HOW Magazine and Quark on July, 7, 2010.
“We’ve heard from many QuarkXPress 8 users who let us know that being able to leverage their print layout and design skills to create Flash output has extended their value as creative professionals, which is crucial in today’s job market,” said Sophia Farina, director of marketing for Quark. “We look forward to honoring our talented Flash designers at the HOW conference, as well as awarding the winner fantastic visibility and a package of top-notch technology.”
Voters will be encouraged to rate submissions as well as select their favorite Flash project based on creativity, composition, and level of interactivity within the design. All submissions must be technologically sound and utilize the Flash functionality of QuarkXPress 8. To vote or enter the contest, designers will need to create a free account on www.ilovedesign.com.
Quark, HOW Magazine, Pantone, and VisTablet have put together a prize package worth more than $1100 – not to mention the incredible opportunity to be spotlighted in HOW Magazine’s blog (http://blog.howdesign.com/).
- HOW Design Insider Program:* This package includes a one-year U.S. subscription to HOW Magazine, a one-year subscription to Print Magazine, one year online access to more than 20,000 award winning graphic designs from the Regional Design Annual, access to HOW Magazine’s popular designcast – From Print to Web, discounts on HOW design conferences, and more. http://www.mydesignshop.com/product/design-insider/
- PANTONE PLUS SERIES: A modern evolution of the PANTONE MATCHING SYSTEM, the PANTONE PLUS SERIES provides designers with a chromatic arrangement of colors for more intuitive selection, an expanded palette of spot colors, the addition of new premium metallics and a broader range of neons – 566 new colors in all. www.pantone.com/plus
- Pantone ColorMunki™ Design: Pantone’s all-in-one spectrophotometer easily captures colors and calibrates monitors, printers and projectors. www.pantone.com/cmdesign
- VisTablet Original 12″ Silver Graphics Tablet: Setting new standards for graphic tablets, VisTablets feature large surface area to ease design and are extremely thin for portability. http://www.vistablet.net/
*In place of the Design Insider Program, a winner outside of the U.S. will receive a one-year, international subscription to HOW Magazine and Print Magazine.
QuarkXPress 8 Flash Magic
Quark launched its ‘Flash Magic’ global campaign in March 2010 in an effort to help QuarkXPress 8 users get more value from their investment. The campaign is built around a dedicated microsite developed in QuarkXPress 8 (www.quark.com/magic) that includes video training, downloadable Flash® resources, real-life customer success stories, and more. With an estimated value of $750, the Flash resources represent substantial additional value for new and existing users alike.
The Flash Magic site:
- Identifies ten types of interactive projects that users might build using QuarkXPress 8, including online design portfolios, product microsites, multimedia Web sites, digital signage, interactive CDs/DVDs, and banner ads.
- Gives QuarkXPress 8 users access to more than 500 downloadable Flash assets, including generic buttons, menus, video and audio players, and complete Web sites.
- Invites QuarkXPress 8 users to become QuarkXPress Flash Magicians by demonstrating their Flash design skills in QuarkXPress 8. Flash Magicians have the opportunity to win a LinkedIn recommendation from Quark, a QuarkXPress Magician certificate, and receive 2 years free QuarkXPress maintenance.
Visit www.quark.com/magic to start learning more today.
Quark® Inc. is a leading provider of publishing software for professional designers, small and mid-sized businesses, and large organizations in more than 160 countries. Two decades ago, our flagship product – QuarkXPress® – changed the course of traditional publishing. For more than 25 years, Quark has built on its knowledge and experience in design and publishing to provide software solutions that support collaborative workflows and automated publishing across multiple channels. Today, Quark is revolutionizing publishing again by setting new standards in XML-based publishing across print, the Web, and digital media as well as by helping owners and employees of small and mid-sized businesses promote their products and services easily, professionally, and affordably. Denver-based Quark Inc. is privately held.
Jay Nelson is the editorial director of PlanetQuark.com, and the editor and publisher of Design Tools Monthly. He’s also the author of the QuarkXPress 8 and QuarkXPress 7 training titles at Lynda.com, as well as the training videos Quark includes in the box with QuarkXPress 7 . In addition, Jay writes regularly for Macworld and Photoshop User magazines and speaks at industry events.