Canto describes Cumulus 8 as the “most significant update in the product’s 17-year history.” Usage statistics and reporting are among the most noted new features in this world-class digital asset management system.
You can now value your assets by knowing which ones are used the most, and fine-tune metadata by knowing frequently used search terms. Cumulus 8 can also catalog assets via email, offering easy, network-secure uploads of photos taken with mobile devices, security cameras, etc. Performance is also up to 200 times faster than before.
Additional new features include:
- Enhanced collaboration through user commenting.
- Find files faster with user-defined filters that show only certain formats, approved files, etc.
- Compare multiple assets at once with new full-screen preview.
- Protect downloaded images with license-free watermarking, included in all editions.
- Create image variants from inside Cumulus 8, using the built-in Image Editor.
Canto offers a new entry-level edition, as well as its flagship product.
Jay Nelson is the editorial director of PlanetQuark.com, and the editor and publisher of Design Tools Monthly. He’s also the author of the QuarkXPress 8 and QuarkXPress 7 training titles at Lynda.com, as well as the training videos Quark includes in the box with QuarkXPress 7 . In addition, Jay writes regularly for Macworld and Photoshop User magazines and speaks at industry events.