It’s now possible to copy paths from Illustrator into QuarkXPress 7, after you install Quark’s free XPert BoxTools XTension. (One of 15 XTensions in Quark XPert Tools Pro.)
- Copy the path from Illustrator.
- Create a new document in Photoshop, open the Paths panel and paste. Select Paste as Path in the Paste dialog box.
- Double-click this path on the Paths panel to name and save it.
- Save the document in TIFF format and import it into a QuarkXPress layout.
- In the Measurements palette, click the Clipping tab and select Embedded Path.
- In the Item menu, choose Picture Box Shape From Path> New Box From Clipping Path
- If necessary, use Item> Split to separate compound paths.
You now have a native QuarkXPress path that you can modify any way you like.
Jay Nelson is the editorial director of PlanetQuark.com, and the editor and publisher of Design Tools Monthly. He’s also the author of the QuarkXPress 8 and QuarkXPress 7 training titles at Lynda.com, as well as the training videos Quark includes in the box with QuarkXPress 7 . In addition, Jay writes regularly for Macworld and Photoshop User magazines and speaks at industry events.